“A Strong Heart can keep you healthy if all parts of our body functions properly: nervous system, respiratory system and digestive system and blood vessels,” said Dr Ben Kim. Dr Ben Kim recommended a Strong Heart Smart Food Diet such as Green Vegetables-Romaine, Green Leaf Lettuce, Arugula , Kale, Swiss Chard, Collard Greens, Turnip Greens (so wonderful in soups), Sesame Leaves, basil, parsley, mint(our breath is so fresh eating this), Brocolli, Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Green Onions, Leeks, Spinach, Zucchini, Asian Greens, Bok Choy are the best Strong Heart Smart Food and also for our blood vessels. It nourishes our Cardiovascular System. Please, all note if we have a history of gastrointestinal distress ; it is better to eat more cooked than raw vegetables. The following is a recipe for a “Digestive Tonic” by Dr Ben Kim:
Dr Ben Kims Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Soup
Cauliflower 2 Heads
Yukon Gold Potatoes 2 Large
Shallots 2 (If not Purple Onion 1 Large)
Garlic-a few cloves
Extra Virgin Olive Oil-2 tablespoons
1. “After giving the Cauliflower and Potatoes into bite size piececes and put them in a roasting pan or casserole dish”.
2. “Give the Shallots a rough chop and add them to the Potatoes.”
3. “It is best to add a few cloves of Garlic at this stage”.
4. “Next add the Cauliflower florets”.
5. “Then add a couple of tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, followed by a good toss to make sure that everyone gets at least a touch of golden goodness”.
6. “Put the nutrient rich veggies away into a 350 degree oven”.
7. “While your veggies are roasting, bring about 6 cups of Vegetable or Chicken Broth to a light simmer”.
8. “You want to retrieve your vegetables once they taken on a light golden tinge”.
9. “Now add your roasted veggies to your simmering Broth-the Broth should cover at least three quarters of your veggies. If you don’t have enough simply add more until you do, then cover your soup pot with a lid and let things simmer for a good 20 minutes or until your Cauliflower florets are super tender”.
10. “The final step is to blend everything together until you produce a creamy”. It is easiest to blend with a hand held blender”.
11. Dr kim’s serving suggestion, “a handfull of Chives and Dill on top”.
12. “Season with (Kosher) Sea Salt and Pepper before serving”.
Dr Ben Kim also further recommends more Strong Heart Smart Food such as those rich in omega 3 Fatty Acid- Raw Walnuts, Ground Flax Seed, Wild Salmon, Lake trout, Anchovies, Fresh Seaweed, Certified USDA Organic Eggs, high quality Fish Oil. It has been proven in epidemiological and clinical studies to reduce our risk of cardiovascular disease.
Also Dr Ben Kim recommends foods that are rich in Vitamin C Complex such as Grapefruit (please, first consult your medical doctor if you are taking medicine), Acerola Cherries, Black currants, Green and Yellow kiwis, Oranges, Cantaloupe, Tropical GuavaLychee, Longans, Papaya, Persimmons, Goji Berries, Red Currants. The Vitamin C Complex contained in these fruits contain Flavonids which helps our heart and blood vessels.
Furthermore, controlling our portion size is Strong Heart Smart Food; do not eat seconds. We should eat more vegetables and some fruits and less of high in calorie and high in sodium foods such as fast foods. Our weight will also benefit by eating properly. The following are some examples of one serving sizes by the Mayo Clinic:
1. Pasta ½ cup
2. Meat, Chicken, Fish is 2 to 3 ounces.
Get and use measuring cups, spoons and a scale if we are unsure of a proper portion size.
Also the Mayo Clinic stated that the fruits and vegetables that we should choose are Fresh or Frozen Vegetables and Fruits, Low Sodium Canned Vegetables and Canned Fruit packed in juice or water.
Also, the Mayo Clinic said that we should have whole grains because of the health benefits of the Fibre and the nutrients which helps our blood pressure and heart health. The following is a list by the Mayo Clinic:
1. Whole Wheat Flour
2. Whole Grain Bread 100% or Whole Wheat Bread 100%
3. High Fibre Cereal 5g or more of fibre in a serving
4. Whole Grain such as Buckwheat, Barley, and Brown Rice
5. Whole Grain Pasta
7. Ground Flaxseed (as also Dr Kim stated)
In addition, the Mayo Clinic recommended these following fats to choose:
1. Olive Oil
2. Canola Oil
The Daily Mail Uk said that butter is good for you and I agree because Margarine did not taste right nor agree with me. Margarine is gunk because it is not natural like butter and has synthetics (This is in disagreement with what the Mayo Clinic because Margarine has “good fats” according to them but, so does Butter and Coconut Oil-as I said recently in my Blog).
Please, shop our Strong Heart and Cancer Free Smart Shop and buy our Coconut Oil and many other great products today. Again always please, consult your medical doctor before making your diet changes.
My sources are my own observance and testing, Dr Ben Kim, MD, Mayo Clinic and Daily Mail UK online.